Our team at Tree City Family Dental encourages our visitors to floss at least once a day. Flossing is an integral part of your oral hygiene routine. It is often overlooked by many people, but the payoff and benefits outway the costs. Don’t leave your smile at risk for cavities, or worse, further health issues. Forgetting to floss can:
- Expose you to developing cavities – Cavities commonly form in between the teeth, not just on top. The particles in between your teeth are packed full of acidic bacteria that break down your enamel and form holes. The problem with cavities being in between your teeth is that it can affect both teeth at the same time. If you aren’t careful your cavity can affect the nerve, pulp, and even the root canal.
- Fall victim to gum disease – If you don’t remove plaque from the gumline, then you run the risk of further damage to your gums. The plaque can irritate and infect the gums causing them to bleed and swell. Plaque can also turn into tartar, causing the gums to recede from the base of the teeth. For that reason, plaque should be removed from the gumline daily.
- Cause other non-oral health risks – If gum disease is not treated, it can lead to even more serious health risks like heart disease, diabetes, stroke, respiratory disease, and rheumatoid arthritis.
Flossing is no joke, follow these tips from the experts:
- Use 16-18 inches of dental floss, wind most of it around your middle finger
- Using your thumbs and index fingers, gently slide the floss back-and-forth in between your teeth
- Follow the curves of your teeth and gently floss between each tooth along the gums
- As you move from tooth-to-tooth, use a clean area of floss
- Pack travel floss picks before heading out to eat
Flossing is only one piece of the proper oral hygiene puzzle. Understanding the repercussions of bad oral hygiene should help you realize the importance of flossing. It could save you from costly treatments and surgeries. If you do need guidance or specialized treatment, give Tree City Family Dental a call. We will help you find the most cost-effective solution for your needs.
Don’t forget to floss at least once a day! Your smile is important to us. Feel free to reach out and ask us any questions about our services. Our team members will gladly assist you in achieving a brighter smile!